Thursday, September 19, 2013

Providence, Rhode Island

            Waking up in Providence, the frenzy of Boston seemed a distant haze. I checked out early, picked up some coffee, and headed into town. My first stop was the Old State House, located just a short distance away from the current building. The Old State House is one of five former state houses used by the state of Rhode Island. Before the current State House was built, the General Assembly rotated between each of the five county seats. Although many parts of the Old State House date back to the 18th century, it has been changed many times since it was first built. After several renovations in the 1800s, the building acquired the appearance that it has today.
Facing down a steep hill, the front of the brick building has a steep flight of stairs leading up to the old, crumbling front door that is no longer in use. Two platforms sit at the base of the front steps on either side of the walkway. Now empty, it appeared as if the platforms had been used to display something large. One slab proclaimed, “Gettysburg” on the front, and the other read, “Bull Run.” Knowing that these are names of two battles of the Civil War, I imagined that some sort of antique weaponry must have been displayed there, but was removed at some point, probably for preservation purposes.
            After examining the inside and outside of the building, I walked down a hill, through a park, and over a bridge to get to the current Capitol. As I exited the park on the far side, the enormous dome came into view. It was breath-taking. It sat on top of another hill, without any trees for several hundred feet surrounding the building, giving it an unobstructed view of the city. After taking some photos of the back of the immense building, I traversed the vast courtyard, and went inside through the visitor’s entrance. As with many Capitol buildings, Rhode Island’s requires visitors to go through a security screening process before entering the building. On either side of the security area, two cannons were poised facing each other across the hallway. The displays in front verified that these were the cannons that used to be displayed on the slabs in front of the Old State House that I had noticed before. The Gettysburg Gun has a cannonball lodged in the mouth of it, still stuck almost 150 years later.
When I stepped into the central part of the building, I was in awe. Just inside the entrance and up a short flight of stairs, I found myself in the middle of the unbelievable rotunda. Four stories soared above my head to reveal the inside of the painted dome, while the state seal of Rhode Island rested beneath my feet. The dome is the fourth-largest self-supporting marble dome in the world, after St. Peter's Basilica, the Minnesota State Capitol, and the Taj Mahal. The inside of the dome is a painted mural that has stood the test of time. Just below that are four representative murals with one of the words Justitia, Litera, Commercium, and Educatio emblazoned beneath each of them. It was, by far, the most beautiful dome I have seen so far.
After seeing the rotunda, I walked upstairs to see the Senate and the House chambers. Although the legislative chambers of most Capitols are dignified, traditional, and aesthetically pleasing, they are not usually the most ornately decorated rooms in the building. This was certainly the case in the Rhode Island State House, where the library is by far the most beautiful room. The majority of its appeal is due to the ceiling, which has incredibly intricate gold-leaf designs, illuminated by an enormous skylight and several two-story windows. With three stories of increasingly ancient and enormous volumes, the library gives the impression that there is no knowledge that does not reside somewhere within it.
            As I walked back downstairs, I began thinking that there are capitals at every level of population and complexity. From Montpelier, a small town in the country, to Boston, the biggest city in Massachusetts, I had experienced the extremes of those differences. Providence lies somewhere in the middle of that scale; it is not nearly as expansive as Boston, but not as confined as some of the other capital towns either. The grandeur of the Capitol and the surrounding buildings definitely convey the atmosphere of a city, but the people are as hospitable and friendly as though they’d been your lifelong neighbors.
Just as its inhabitants are welcoming, the history of Rhode Island demonstrates a culture that embraces acceptance. Roger Williams, a Protestant who was an early proponent of religious freedom, founded the colony of Providence. He settled in the area in June of 1636 after being exiled from Massachusetts for his outspoken beliefs about the separation of church and state. As the story goes, he stole away in the dead of night during a fierce blizzard before the sheriff could exile him personally. After walking over 100 miles in the snow, he sought shelter from the Chief Sachem, Massasoit, of the Wampanoag Native Americans, who housed him for several weeks. He then bought a large piece of land from Massasoit that was to become a new colony of acceptance and religious freedom. He named the colony “Providence” because he felt that it was divine providence that led him there. In fact, he was so passionate about the colony that he named his third child Providence, who was the first to be born within the new settlement.
            In another matter of personal freedom, slavery was abolished in Rhode Island as early as the 17th century, but the legislation was not enforced well into the 18th century. In 1774, Stephan Hopkins introduced a bill to the Rhode Island Assembly that prohibited the importation of slaves into the colony. In 1784, the Assembly passed a compromise that allowed for the gradual emancipation of slaves within Rhode Island. By 1840, the census reported that there were only five African Americans enslaved within the state of Rhode Island. This could be considered quite progressive for the time period, and is indicative of the Rhode Island’s cultural origins of personal liberty.
Still mulling over all that I had discovered, I left through the rear of the building and walked around to the looming front to take some more photographs. Although the walkway was well shaded by trees, the summer heat was getting to me, so I returned to my car and went in search for some lunch. I ended up at a restaurant called Murphy’s, which was an Irish inspired restaurant and deli. I had the best potato skins of my life followed by a chicken and bacon sandwich. It was immensely satisfying, although afterwards I felt lethargic enough to take my time returning to my automobile.
Near to my hotel, I spotted a massive park on the map in the southern part of the city. As the afternoon was still young, I decided to stop and do a little exploring. It was wonderful. Although it wasn’t in the most prosperous of neighborhoods, the park was riddling with people taking their dog for a walk, or couples taking paddleboat rides in the small lake. I saw a sign for the ‘Temple of Music,’ and I decided to stop and take a look. It was, quite literally, a temple. A rectangular structure with four columns on either side, it overlooked the lake with the sun setting behind it. A low stonewall enclosed a large semi-circle on the side facing the park, allowing a potential crowd a place to congregate. It was built some time ago, and the engravings on the interior of the walls were hard to read, but I could tell that this place had hosted celebrations many times throughout its life. Its tranquility was an excellent end to my day in Providence.

I set out again with the blinding rays of the sun directly in front of me. It was the conclusion of the first leg of my journey, and I felt as though if this were any indication of it, the rest of my journey is going to be a trip to remember.

No comments:

Post a Comment