Sunday, August 18, 2013

Where it All Began

After completing my secondary education, I wanted to do something different before I went to college; the natural conclusion was to take a gap year. I heard about programs abroad and other opportunities that are available, and while many of them seemed somewhat appealing, none of them ignited my curiosity. I soon came to the conclusion that I wanted to create a project of my own.

Although traveling abroad is interesting and worthwhile, it occurred to me that there are many things to see and experience here in the United States. Our country is large and complex. It is full of mysteries, hidden gems, and both famous and little-known wonders. Each state has its own culture and specific things that make it unique. That being said, within each state there are also vast variations in individual opinions and ideals. Despite the fact that diversity is one of the things that make the United States a wonderful place to live, America’s biggest problem is that it is not always as unified as its name suggests. Because there are so many different cultures in this country, collaboration as a nation has become difficult. I want to change that.

In less than a year, I will be visiting each state capital and writing about my experiences. My goal is to help discover the true nature of American culture, as well as to unearth the origins that made this country the wonderful place it is today. I am going to help America get to know itself again. So, after many months of meticulous planning, and armed with my camera and pen, I set out to do just that.

No comments:

Post a Comment